John lectured for the University of Kent from 1992 to 2010, teaching a variety of architectural and social history studies, and has worked on a sessional basis for many other academic institutions. He has been a regular tutor at Denman (the national college of the Women’s Institute near Oxford) for over 35 years. An enthusiastic and popular approach to his subject ensures that he has a large following of regular students.
In addition to his contracted lectures John is a popular speaker at meetings of many different groups including The Arts Society ( NADFAS), the National Trust, and historical societies country-wide.
His lecture tours to public Libraries and Colleges in Germany where he speaks on English literature and its links with topographical history are well received.
ALL LECTURES ARE ALSO AVAILABLE TO GROUPS COUNTRYWIDE ON ZOOM
His current portfolio of lectures includes:
- Bedrooms, Banquets and Balls – the history of the English Country House
- Leave no stone unturned – the lives and burial places of the famous and infamous.
- Britain with Betjeman – English architecture as seen through the eyes of our Poet Laureate. [More…]
- Kent Churches – an in-depth study of 1500 years of religious heritage. [More…]
- Sussex Churches – a huge variety of ecclesiastical architecture in Downland Country. [More…]
- Curious Kent – follies and unusual stories from the Garden of England.
- Treasures in Norfolk Churches.
- The Church’s Restoration – How our old churches were rebuilt in the nineteenth century
- Churches in Retirement – The work of the Churches Conservation Trust and the Friends of Friendless Churches [More…]
- Murder, Sex and Mayhem in English Churches [More…]
- For Weddings, Baptisms and Funerals – our Christian rites of passage as displayed in Anglican churches
- Crenels and Merlons – a thousand years of buildings with battlements
- Superior Seats – the remarkable story of seating in churches.
Details of fees and availability on request. More details on www.diannemannering.co.uk