John is the author of the following books:
- Curious Kent (Meresborough Books, 1984)
- Exploring Kent Churches (Meresborough Books, 1985)
- Exploring Sussex Churches (Meresborough Books, 1986)
- Shire County Guide: Kent (Shire Publications, 1988)
- Red Guide to Kent (Waymark, 1989) – researcher
- Ordnance Survey Landranger Guides (series, Jarrolds, 1991) – ecclesiastical content
- Kent Curiosities (The Dovecote Press Ltd, 1992)
- The Lost Villages of Sussex (The Dovecote Press Ltd, 1994)
- Kent Churches (Sutton Publishing, 1995)
- Stream, Steam and Stencils (Kent County Council, 1994)
- Kent: The County in Colour (The Dovecote Press Ltd, 2000)
- Kent Churches (The Dovecote Press Ltd, 2001)
- Kent Bedside Book (Dovecote Press Ltd, 2003)
- John was a contributor to `The Medway Valley: A Kent landscape transformed` (Phillimore, 2009) part of England`s Past for Everyone.
- John was a contributor to `An Historical Atlas of Kent `(Phillimore, 2010)
In December 2004 John`s book `Exploring Kent Churches` was voted the favourite Kent book in the history category of the BBC`s `Big Read`, and John was voted the fifth most popular living Kent author.
In addition John is the author of several dozen church guidebooks, and has written widely in journals and magazines. His books are available from the usual outlets and direct from the author.
Please email for further information.